An overseas PCS to Naples, Italy is an exciting adventure, but completing the paperwork can be a little daunting, especially since there is no “official” guidance/checklist on the process put out by the Navy.
Below you will find a downloadable PDF document that is specific to Naples, Italy (includes Gaeta, Italy) due to the specific VISA and permit documents required, the NATO SOFA agreement and Naples base housing information.
Throughout this document you will find “**Spouse Tip:” These tips are useful information you will not find in your typical google search and are usually odd rules that are not conveyed properly or are confusing, unfortunately lessons learned the hard way. We are grateful for the shard knowledge from our spouse community, who ensure others avoid the hardship they faced and aide in the Homefront PCS mission: #makeingPCSeasier
Information is subject to change and be updated. If you find any information listed below is out of date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so it can be updated. Grazie! Goditi l'Italia!
For your reference there are few base locations in Naples, Italy. Bus service is provided between the different locations, please see local bus stops for times and routes. Understand that local COVID protocols may alter posted information.
1. Gricignano Support Site (gree -she-NYAN-no) known as “Support Site”. This base has all Military family and single Sailor housing, Military Hospital, NEX & Commissary Complex, which includes Movie theater, US Post Office, dry cleaners, hair salon/barber, Vodafone Family Service Center that provides service set up for Telepass, phone, cable, Internet, & Culligan water service and food court, etc., bowling alley, DoDEA Schools, CDC, base gym & Outdoor Pool, Multiple Parks and the Navy Lodge, etc. Ration cards for hard liquor purchased on base are issued at base security. **Spouse Tip: You may purchase liquor on the economy freely. Wine and Beer do not require ration cards.
2. Capodichino (Cah-poh-dee-KEE-noh) known as “Capo”. Located adjacent to Naples International Airport. This is where most operational/administrative support work offices are located in support of the U.S. NAVAL FORCES EUROPE - AFRICA (CNE-CNA), U.S. 6TH FLEET (C6F), and U.S. Support Activity Naples, including base legal. Navy Gateway Inn and Suites, Mini Nex, Post Office, Base Gym with indoor Pool, CDC, food court and water filling station are some amenities available on this base.
3. Gaeta (GUY-E-TUH) is home to the flagship USS MOUNT WHITNEY (approx. 90 mins from support site) No family housing is available there, military can live out in town or have the option to commute from Support Site. Families that live in Gaeta have the option for their kids to attend DoDEA base schools with bus transportation provided to and from Support Site daily. MWR, FFSC, Mini Nex, Laundromat and Base Gym are a few amenities available.
4. Allied Joint Forces Command, NATO (JFC) (Lago Patria, approx. 25 mins from support site) The international store requires registration for shopping privileges. Family Service Center ( provides service set up for Telepass, phone, cable, Internet, & Culligan water service)(**Spouse Tip: FSC typically has better rates and customer service for Telepass, internet, Culligan) Vodafone located in the Int’l Store ( **Spouse Tip: Vodafone offers unique plans only available at JFC and can be better/cheaper than what is offered on SS, Capo or economy.) There is a gym, gas station, US Post Office, two barber/beauty salon, flower shop, mini NEX, tailor, gym/pool (check on access restrictions), track, mechanic & auto body shop and other amenities.
5. Carney Park is a US Military recreational facility run by MWR. Amenities include but are not limited to; golf, driving range, outdoor swimming pool, multiple sport fields, and picnic sites along with camping areas. Water filling station. Local Nationals have limited access to the facilities. (approx. 30 mins from support site)
6. There are a few other small duty stations or assignments to forgien outposts like Rome, Grazzinezze Air Base and Taranto NATO outpost.
Online AO program
Online housing application
DoDEA Base School Information
Tickets and Travel
Study the European Road Signs
Cell phone service option
On Base Swim Team
Local Soccer Club